Uproar in LS over India-China border issue
New Delhi: Members from the BJP and other opposition parties on Wednesday created uproar during Question Hour in the Lok Sabha when External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid claimed that the understanding of India and China on the exact contours of the LAC differs.
Lalji Tandon (BJP) told Speaker Meira Kumar that his question on the infiltrations by Chinese army into the Indian Territory in the last three years has not been answered in the written reply given to him.
"There is no commonly delineated Line of Actual Control (LAC) in the border areas between India and China...There is no clear agreement on it between us. Our understanding of where the border is differs from theirs," Khurshid said.
BJP members were on their feet and alleged that the government is bowing to China and is not able to man the India-China border or install watch towers there.
SP Chief Mulayam Singh Yadav, BSP leader Dara Singh Chauhan and BPF leader S K Bwiswmuthiary also stood up and protested.
Members demanded a discussion on the issue under Rule 193 (debate without voting). The Speaker assured the House that if a request is made by members she would allow a discussion.
In his written reply, Khurshid said, "From time to time, on account of differences in the perception of the LAC, situations have arisen on the ground that could have been avoided if we had a common perception of the LAC."
He said India regularly takes up any transgression along the LAC with the Chinese side through established mechanisms including border personnel meetings, flag meetings, meetings of Working Mechanism on Consultation and Coordination on India-China Border Affairs and diplomatic channels.
"The two sides have reiterated, on many occasions, their commitment to maintain peace and tranquility along the LAC in the India-China border areas, pending a final settlement of the boundary question. Government keeps a constant watch on all developments having a bearing on India`s security and takes all necessary measures to safeguard it," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case