Uproar in LS over India-China border issue
New Delhi: Members from the BJP and other opposition parties on Wednesday created uproar during Question Hour in the Lok Sabha when External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid claimed that the understanding of India and China on the exact contours of the LAC differs.
Lalji Tandon (BJP) told Speaker Meira Kumar that his question on the infiltrations by Chinese army into the Indian Territory in the last three years has not been answered in the written reply given to him.
"There is no commonly delineated Line of Actual Control (LAC) in the border areas between India and China...There is no clear agreement on it between us. Our understanding of where the border is differs from theirs," Khurshid said.
BJP members were on their feet and alleged that the government is bowing to China and is not able to man the India-China border or install watch towers there.
SP Chief Mulayam Singh Yadav, BSP leader Dara Singh Chauhan and BPF leader S K Bwiswmuthiary also stood up and protested.
Members demanded a discussion on the issue under Rule 193 (debate without voting). The Speaker assured the House that if a request is made by members she would allow a discussion.
In his written reply, Khurshid said, "From time to time, on account of differences in the perception of the LAC, situations have arisen on the ground that could have been avoided if we had a common perception of the LAC."
He said India regularly takes up any transgression along the LAC with the Chinese side through established mechanisms including border personnel meetings, flag meetings, meetings of Working Mechanism on Consultation and Coordination on India-China Border Affairs and diplomatic channels.
"The two sides have reiterated, on many occasions, their commitment to maintain peace and tranquility along the LAC in the India-China border areas, pending a final settlement of the boundary question. Government keeps a constant watch on all developments having a bearing on India`s security and takes all necessary measures to safeguard it," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31