Uproar in LS over India-China border issue
New Delhi: Members from the BJP and other opposition parties on Wednesday created uproar during Question Hour in the Lok Sabha when External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid claimed that the understanding of India and China on the exact contours of the LAC differs.
Lalji Tandon (BJP) told Speaker Meira Kumar that his question on the infiltrations by Chinese army into the Indian Territory in the last three years has not been answered in the written reply given to him.
"There is no commonly delineated Line of Actual Control (LAC) in the border areas between India and China...There is no clear agreement on it between us. Our understanding of where the border is differs from theirs," Khurshid said.
BJP members were on their feet and alleged that the government is bowing to China and is not able to man the India-China border or install watch towers there.
SP Chief Mulayam Singh Yadav, BSP leader Dara Singh Chauhan and BPF leader S K Bwiswmuthiary also stood up and protested.
Members demanded a discussion on the issue under Rule 193 (debate without voting). The Speaker assured the House that if a request is made by members she would allow a discussion.
In his written reply, Khurshid said, "From time to time, on account of differences in the perception of the LAC, situations have arisen on the ground that could have been avoided if we had a common perception of the LAC."
He said India regularly takes up any transgression along the LAC with the Chinese side through established mechanisms including border personnel meetings, flag meetings, meetings of Working Mechanism on Consultation and Coordination on India-China Border Affairs and diplomatic channels.
"The two sides have reiterated, on many occasions, their commitment to maintain peace and tranquility along the LAC in the India-China border areas, pending a final settlement of the boundary question. Government keeps a constant watch on all developments having a bearing on India`s security and takes all necessary measures to safeguard it," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Counting underway - Big prestige battle for BJP and Shiv Sena
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Election Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena marches ahead in Mumbai, but BJP gains lead in Pune, Nashik