Uproarious scenes in Delhi assembly over absence of Dadwal
New Delhi: Uproarious scenes were witnessed
in Delhi Assembly today due to absence of Police Commissioner
Y S Dadwal during a debate on the law and order situation in
the city leading to adjournment of the House for the day.
Immediately after the tea break when the House met,
Speaker Yoganand Shastri asked senior BJP leader Jagdish Mukhi
to begin discussion on deteriorating law and order situation
in the city.
However, the BJP leader took exception of the absence of
the Police Commissioner saying that as per norms he should
have been present in the Assembly during the discussion on law
and order situation and requested the Speaker to summon the
official to the House.
Leader of Opposition V K Malhotra too said it`s a
question of prestige of the House as it has been a tradition
that police commissioner is always present whenever House makes any discussion on law and order situation of the city.
"The Police Commissioner`s absence in the Assembly is a
serious issue of contempt of the House and insult to the Chief
Minister (Sheila Dikshit)," he said.
The Speaker tried to pacify the members by saying that
Special Commissioner of Police Neeraj Kumar and Home Secretary
G S Patnaik were present in the House.
But the BJP leaders kept repeating their demand to
adjourn the House till the Police Commissioner attend the
Several members from the ruling party, including Anil
Bharadwaj, Ramakant Goswami and Subhash Chopra too joined the
issue with the BJP, seeking adjournment of the House till
their demand was met.
Following the unified demands by both ruling and
opposition benches, the Speaker adjourned the House for
half-an-hour and directed Dikshit to ask Dadwal to attend the
discussion in the House.
However, when even after scheduled time there was no sign
of Dadwal in the House, the members refused to allow the
proceedings, prompting the Speaker to adjourn the House for
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Brexit will greatly weaken EU, says European Commission Vice-President Maros Sefcovic
- SHOCKING! This model ran sex racket under guise of production house in Mumbai's Versova, arrested
- 'BJP will retain power at Centre in 2019 Lok Sabha elections'
- Theatre doyen Kavalam Narayana Panicker passes away; he was 88
- AugustaWestland VVIP chopper scam: None will be spared, asserts Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar