UPSC aspirants clash with police, burn vehicles in North Delhi
New Delhi: Hundreds of Civil Service aspirants on Thursday night clashed with police, burning vehicles, including a police jeep, and pelting stones near main highway by-pass road in North Delhi`s Burari area, police said.
The incident took place around 8.30 PM when at least 500 to 700 protesters tried to block the road demanding scrapping of Civil Services Aptitude Test.
Police resorted to use of tear gas and lathicharge to disperse the protesters.
"A police jeep was set on fire. One Roadways bus was partially burnt in the incident along with some bikes and cars. Police used force to disperse them from main roads," Joint Commissioner of Police Sandeep Goel said, adding, some policemen were injured in the incident.
Police has detained some protesters and a case may be filed against them for rioting and damaging public property once the ruckus is under control, Goel said.
According to Delhi Fire services, they received a call about a police jeep been set on fire at 8:50 PM following which two fire tenders were rushed to the spot.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!