UPSC aspirants clash with police, burn vehicles in North Delhi
New Delhi: Hundreds of Civil Service aspirants on Thursday night clashed with police, burning vehicles, including a police jeep, and pelting stones near main highway by-pass road in North Delhi`s Burari area, police said.
The incident took place around 8.30 PM when at least 500 to 700 protesters tried to block the road demanding scrapping of Civil Services Aptitude Test.
Police resorted to use of tear gas and lathicharge to disperse the protesters.
"A police jeep was set on fire. One Roadways bus was partially burnt in the incident along with some bikes and cars. Police used force to disperse them from main roads," Joint Commissioner of Police Sandeep Goel said, adding, some policemen were injured in the incident.
Police has detained some protesters and a case may be filed against them for rioting and damaging public property once the ruckus is under control, Goel said.
According to Delhi Fire services, they received a call about a police jeep been set on fire at 8:50 PM following which two fire tenders were rushed to the spot.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video