UPSC protestors torch buses, police booth in Delhi
New Delhi: Civil service aspirants Wednesday night clashed with police and burnt down two buses and a police booth during their continued protest here demanding scrapping of the aptitude test from the entrance examination, police said.
Around 400-500 aspirants took out a candle march in Mukherjee Nagar area in north Delhi. They were walking towards the Bara Hindu Rao Hospital, when police tried to stop them.
The aspirants started pelting stones at the police personnel, who resorted to a baton charge, injuring many students.
The agitated students burned down two buses and a police booth in nearby Nehru Vihar area, a police official said.
At least 50 students were detained and taken to a police station, while a few injured students were taken to a hospital.
Officials said a few police personnel were also injured in the incident.
The UPSC aspirants have been protesting for the last few says demanding scrapping of the Civil Services Aptitude Test (CSAT).
Mukherjee Nagar, a residential area near Delhi University`s north campus, is popular with students who pour into Delhi from other states to prepare for the civil services examination.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof