US citizen accused of raping minor seeks bail
New Delhi: A Delhi court has issued notice to
the Centre on the bail plea of a US citizen of Indian origin,
arrested at IGI Airport here minutes before boarding a flight
to Bangkok to avoid his extradition to New York to stand trial
for allegedly raping a minor there.
Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Amit Bansal
issued notice to the Union government seeking its reply to New
York-based Amit Mohan Singh`s bail plea by November 3.
Singh has sought bail contending that the documents
received by the Centre from USA for his extradition were
incomplete and "not sufficient" to suggest that there was any
evidence against him.
He said the documents received from the US seeking his
extradition were devoid of any material evidence like medical
records, statement of witnesses and others.
Singh, 30, who is in judicial custody here, was arrested
on July 6 at the airport in response to a red corner notice
issued against him at the request of the Federal Bureau of
The court had earlier denied him bail in August this year
saying allegations against him were of serious nature.
As per a letter written to the MEA by the US embassy
here, Singh had acosted a 14-year-old girl on the street in
Elmont in New York on March 11, 2009 and had dragged her into
a house and raped her.
Singh is also wanted by the Supreme Court of Nassau
County in the state of New York to stand trial on charge of
rape, sexual abuse and endangering the welfare of a child
(victim), the embassy document had said.
According to the US mission, he is also wanted for
serving the remaining jail term in the US for violating the
terms of probation after being convicted for "criminal
possession" of controlled substances on December 21, 2007.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Three Romanians arrested in skimming scam in Mumbai
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Indrani Mukerjea's statement on suspected drug overdose recorded
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka