US terror advisory: MHA alerts Delhi Police
New Delhi: The government today alerted
Delhi Police on the US advisory on possibility of terror
attacks in the national capital and asked it to take necessary
steps to strengthen security.
"We are aware of the advisory. We have alerted Delhi
Police. All necessary steps are being taken," an MHA
spokesperson said here today.
The US yesterday issued a fresh warning to its citizens
in India asking them to restrict themselves from visiting
congested areas of Delhi following "increased indications" of
terrorists planning attacks.
"There are increased indications that terrorists are
planning attacks in New Delhi. Terrorists have targeted places
in the past where US citizens or Westerners are known to
congregate or visit, a security message issued by the US
Embassy said yesterday.
"Markets, such as those located in Chandni Chowk,
Connaught Place, Greater Kailash, Karol Bagh, Mehrauli, and
Sarojini Nagar, can be especially attractive targets for
terrorist groups," it said.
Close to the heels of the US, Australia also warned its
citizens to exercise a high degree of caution and avoid some
of the shopping areas and markets in India`s national capital
because of the high risk of terrorist activity.
"On 21 April, the United States and Canada issued
separate warnings about possible attacks against markets
frequented by foreigners in New Delhi. According to these
warnings... We strongly advise Australians to minimise
their presence in market areas of New Delhi," it said.
The US advisory has asked its citizens to exit any area
where unattended packages were spotted and to report the
matter to authorities.
The alert said Americans travelling or residing in India
are strongly encouraged to maintain a high level of vigilance,
remain aware of their surroundings, monitor local news
reports and take appropriate steps to bolster their personal
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- When brave CRPF men put themselves between terrorists' bullets and colleagues in Pampore attack
- Egypt deports popular Lebanese political talk show host
- EgyptAir black box flight recorder has been repaired: Commission
- Osborne rules himself out of race to succeed PM Cameron: Report
- 'Subramanian Swamy will dent Modi's image, spook foreign investors'