Use `181` code as women helpline number: Sibal
New Delhi: Telecom Minister Kapil Sibal has asked state chief ministers to consider starting a emergency help-line service exclusively for women on code `181`.
"Keeping in view the increased frequency of unfortunate instances of offences and violence against women, the Government of National Capital Territory is using the help-line service exclusively for women in distress and I urge you to consider starting a similar help-line service on code `181` in your state," Sibal said in the letter.
The communication has been sent to all Chief Ministers, a government official said.
Earlier, Sibal had said the government would give single emergency number 181 to women across the country.
Amid nationwide uproar over brutal gang-rape of a 23-year old paramedic student, the Telecom Ministry released a three-digit number, 167, for women helpline in Delhi 181 but the number, however, was changed to 181 as the Ministry felt that it would be easier to recollect.
Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit had requested to allot a three-digit phone number for helping women in distress.
A central government agency is also running trials to instantly track the location of the caller on emergency numbers to help narrow down the time taken by security personnel to reach the spot even if the call is incomplete.
The Telecom Minister has also asked Chief Ministers to consider using 181 as emergency helpline number besides the existing police help-line, which works on a different code.
The Department of Electronics and Information Technology (DEITY), under Sibal, is also working on women safety devices below price of Rs 1,000. The proposed electronic device will have high-tech features like sending alerts to emergency numbers with help of a voice command only.
DEITY has set a target of six months to come up with prototype of this safety device in six months.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow