Vajpayee a gentle giant: Jaitley
Dehra Dun: BJP leader Arun Jaitley on Thursday said
former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee was a "gentle
giant" who never compromised with his office.
At a function marking the launch of Samgra Atal ji to
collect and compile all information on Vajpayee in digitized
form, Jaitely said he remembered the days when the Vajpayee
government was defeated by just one vote in 1990s but nobody
could allege that bribe was offered to buy votes.
He said Vajpayee had headed a democratic government
where any minister had the freedom to speak on an issue during
cabinet meetings. "Vajpayeeji would listen to all of them and
in the end summarize the issue in a few words to finalize it",
Jaitely also gave examples where Vajpayee was described
as a "gentle giant, master of incomplete sentences and an
"There are several such examples where we find Vajpayee
winning laurels of everybody", he said.
Even when he was the Leader of the Opposition, Vajpayee
had the capability to take the level of discussion on any
issue to match with the Prime Minister, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- DNA: Today in History, 18th February, 2017
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal