VAT: Delhi govt to soon identify `bogus traders`
New Delhi: In an effort to improve VAT
collection and identify "bogus traders", the Delhi government
will soon carry out a comprehensive scrutiny of the traders
registered with it.
Commissioner of Trade and Taxes Rajender Kumar said
the department would soon launch the scrutiny to detect the
tax evaders and traders who claim Value Added Tax (VAT)
refunds showing bogus transactions.
"We are streamlining the mechanism of tax collection,"
he said at a press conference.
In a major operation, the Tax department had unearthed
a "huge scam" involving nearly 1,300 "bogus traders" who used
to claim VAT refunds by showing bogus bills and fake sells.
The department had launched a probe discretely
choosing nearly 3,000 traders in the city, each having an
yearly turn over of Rs one crore and found that nearly one-
third of them were either fake or non-functional.
Kumar said his department has set a target of
collection Rs 14,500 crore as VAT revenue in the financial
year 2011-12 as against collection of Rs 12,068 crore in the
On the proposed Goods and Services Tax, he said the
tax department was making all preparations to implement the
GST as and when it is introduced by the Centre.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leading in 50 seats, BJP in 32; big prestige battle for both parties
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena ahead in Mumbai, Thane; BJP leading in Pune, Nagpur, Solapur, Akola