Vested interests distorting facts to create controversy: Goel
New Delhi: Rajya Sabha MP and former Delhi BJP president Vijay Goel on Sunday blamed certain "vested interests" for creating a controversy over his remarks on migrants in Delhi and said he has been advocating for providing better amenities to them in the national capital.
"I have categorically said that all those who have migrated to Delhi should be provided with all possible facilities required for a good quality life. I myself as well as the BJP have always supported the cause of migrants from other states in Delhi. Certain vested interests are unhappy with the growing popularity of BJP in Delhi and hence they are trying to create an unnecessary controversy by distorting facts. This is deplorable," Goel said in a statement here.
Goel claimed that he had categorically stated in his speech on Delhi Budget in Rajya Sabha on July 31 that he did not oppose the migration of people from Uttar Pradesh and Bihar in the national capital.
"My speech is available on Rajya Sabha`s official website and anyone can see that facts are being distorted. I clearly spoke in favour of more facilities for people from Bihar and Uttar Pradesh who are compelled to migrate to Delhi due to lack of opportunities at their native places," he added.
On Thursday last, Goel had talked in the Rajya Sabha about various challenges facing Delhi and said migrants from other states often settle in slums which later become unauthorised colonies. He had said there was a need to address the issue of continuous migration into Delhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa