Vice President greets nation on Makar Sakranti, Pongal
New Delhi: Vice President Hamid Ansari on Sunday greeted people on the auspicious occasion of Makar Sankranti and Pongal.
In his message, he said these festivals, which are celebrated all over the country under different names with enthusiasm, devotion and gaiety, reflect the fundamental unity of the country and commemorate `Uttarayan` or the beginning of the northward journey of the Sun, besides the harvest season.
"I extend my greetings to all our citizens on the auspicious occasion of Makar Sankranti and Pongal...," he said.
He wished the festivals "may bless us all with peace, harmony and prosperity."
President Pranab Mukherjee and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh yesterday greeted the nation on the occasion of Lohri, Makar Sankranti and Pongal and hoped the festivals would bring prosperity and happiness for all.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning