Vice-President to represent India at Tagore`s 150 anniversary event
New Delhi: Vice-President Hamid Ansari
will represent India during the 150th birth anniversary
celebrations of Nobel laureate Rabindranath Tagore in Dhaka on
May 6 which will be marked by a series of cultural events.
Minister of State for External Affairs Preneet Kaur
and two Members of Parliament - O P Mathur of BJP and Moinul
Hassan of CPI (M)- will accompany the Vice-President during
his two day state visit beginning tomorrow.
According to Jayant Prasad, Special Secretary in the
Ministry of External Affairs, during the state visit of
Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina in January, 2010, the
two sides had agreed to oversee the joint celebrations
Ansari`s visit will be the first visit to Bangladesh
by an Indian leader after Hasina visited India last year.
The celebrations to mark the 150th anniversary of
Tagore will begin at the Banga Bandhu International Convention
Centre on Friday where various troupes will present a series
of cultural programmes, including short dramas and music
After reaching Dhaka tomorrow, Ansari will call on
Bangladesh President Md Zillur Rahman and hold meetings with
Prime Minister Hasina and Foreign Minister Dipu Moni.
He will also visit the the National Mausoleum at Savar
and the Bangabandhu Museum.
The Bangabandhu Museum is the house of Sheikh Mujibur
Rahman. It contains rare collection of personal effects and
photographs of his lifetime.
Bangladesh Planning Minister A K Khandker will attend
the inauguration of the Nobel Laureate`s 150th birth
anniversary in India on May 7, Prasad said.
Since Prime Minister Hasina`s visit to India,
considerable progress has been made by the two neighbours in
many areas, including the signing of a billion-dollar line of
credit India has extended to Dhaka.
The two sides have also signed a MoU on border haats
(markets). While India has designated Ashuganj and Bangladesh
has designated Shilghat as their respective ports of call.
This visit will be useful in taking stock of the
progress made in various fields, he said, adding that
Bangladesh is the largest trading partner of India in the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown