Victims of Delhi HC blast remembered
New Delhi: Tearful relatives and friends remembered the victims of the Delhi High Court blast on its first anniversary today, accusing the government of failing to deliver on promises of compensation.
The relatives, who gathered at the High Court premises, complained that they were promised jobs and other facilities but claimed government did nothing for them.
Delhi High Court Acting Chief Justice Arjan Kumar Sikri led judges and lawyers in paying tributes to the victims.
Fifteen people were killed and several others injured when a bomb placed a near reception exploded on this day last year.
Suman Goel, whose father was a blast victim, said the government assured them of a job but "now when we go to a government department and inquire about our compensation and the earning options that we were promised, they treat us like criminals questioning us to the hilt."
Goel is not alone who is unhappy with the governments` attitude. Harish Kumar, Raj Kumar Jain, Mehraj Nizamuddin and Mahesh Kumar -- relatives of other victims also narrate similar grievances.
"Earlier, my family used to depend on me for making ends meet. Now, I depend on my family to get my routine work done," 42-year-old Harish Kumar, whose left leg was blown away by the blast and who was in hospital till November, said.
50-year-old Raj Kumar Jain, who lost his father said, "Officials came to my residence to inquire details of my father and to check whether I am his son. Even after collecting all relevant information, we have not been given the compensation or the job promised to a family member."
Jain`s daughter Ishu Jain, a designer who is employed with an export house, has only one prayer that public should not be made to suffer like this. "Our situation is like that of a movie that releases every Friday. People forget it after one week," Jain said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’