Videograph gram sabha proceedings, states told
New Delhi: Aiming to strengthen the functioning of Panchayati Raj institutions, Centre has advised state governments to videograph gram sabha proceedings, besides introducing a slew of schemes for improving their set up.
"The scheme will start from 2012-13, that is the first year of 12th Five Year Plan. It will require the states to undertake reforms, devolve funds, strengthen state election commissions and finance commission and set up Mahila Sabhas," Union Minister for Panchayati Raj and Tribal Affairs V Kishore Chandra Deo told reporters here.
Under the new scheme, special attention will be paid to meet the nutrition requirements of people in villages and to provide basic aminities such as health, sanitation and drinking water.
For ensuring transparency and accountability, Deo said,"We have advised all states to videograph proceedings of Gram Sabha and I hope they will comply with this as it will ensure transparency in their functioning."
He said that all states have been advised to hold Gram Sabha meetings on nutrition in August as this is period where food is scarce in various parts of the country.
On meeting their infrastructure needs, he said out of the 2.40 lakh panchayats in the country, only 60,000 have the facility of a Panchayat Ghar and provision has been made for the states to meet this requirement.
Replying to a question on empowering panchayats in the Naxal-affected states, he said, "Elaborate guidelines have been made for this purpose. We will take all measures to ensure that these guidelines are implemented. We have to be little more vigilant."
Underlining that Panchayats Raj is a concurrent issue, he said states also must take initiative for empowering the villagers and gram sabhas.
On strengthening electoral mechanism in states, Deo said,
"The Task Force for State Election Commission (SECs) and election issues relating to Panchayats and Municipalities has submitted its report. I have accepted the report after taking views of the SECs."
The recommendations have been taken up with the states to strengthen the SECs and improve their electoral practices, he added.
For capacity building of elected representatives at the Gram Panchayat-level, the Ministry has also introduced changes in their curriculum and training programs.
"Another shift in the training has been sensitivity about the problems faced by women and children and various social programs to address these problems. More focus is intended to be given to capacity building of elected women representatives and SC/ST," Deo said.
As a measure to recognise the good work done by them, 170 Panchayats were awarded for their best practices in areas of livelihood and revenue generation.
The Ministry has also decided to initiate a programme to address the issue of female foeticide through the Gram Panchayats.
For strengthening Gram Sabhas with the help of IT-enabled measures, four softwares including a web portal have been launched by the Ministry and states are being encouraged to adopt it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt