Vikas Yadav allowed to attend brother`s engagement for 2 hrs
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Thursday allowed former Rajya Sabha member D P Yadav`s son Vikas, serving life term in Tihar Jail here for killing his sister Bharti`s friend
Nitish Katara in February 2002, to attend his brother`s engagement ceremony on April 14 for two hours.
A division bench of justices B D Ahmed and Manmohan Singh directed the Delhi police to take Vikas under escort from 8 pm to 10 pm on April 14 to hotel Hyaatt Regency here to let him attend his brother Kunal`s engagement ceremony.
The police were directed to take him back to Tihar jail and hand him over to the jail officials there after the ceremony. The Tihar jail authorities too were directed to admit Vikas Yadav in the prison after 10 pm.
The court gave its order on a plea by Vikas seeking bail for three months on the ground that his younger brother Kunal was slated to be married on April 29, with its various rituals
set to begin from April 14, when the engagement ceremony is to be performed.
While allowing Vikas to be taken to attend his brother`s engagement, the bench said it would hear his bail plea on April 18 after the police files their report in response to the bail plea.
Delhi government`s Standing Counsel (Criminal) Sanjiv Bhandari submitted that the police so far have collected only partial information about the marriage and other rituals and it would be able to file the complete report within a week.
In his bail plea, Vikas had also said that he would like to meet his grandfather who, being the senior most family member, would perform the marriage ceremony.
In August 2009, the bench, which has been hearing the appeal filed by Vikas and his cousin Vishal Yadav, challenging their conviction by the trial court, had rejected their bail plea, saying "although both the accused persons were in custody for past several years, their incarceration cannot be a ground by itself for grant of bail."
In May 2008, a city court had sentenced Vikas, 37, and his cousin Vishal, 36, for killing Nitish Katara, son of an IAS officer. According to the prosecution, Vikas and Vishal had kidnapped Katara from a marriage party in Ghaziabad on February 16, 2002, night and killed him as they were against Katara`s intimacy with their sister Bharati Yadav.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror