VK Singh demands probe into alleged bugging of his residence
Former Army Chief Gen VK Singh on Monday demanded a probe into the alleged bugging attempt at his residence in Delhi last week.
Jaipur: Former Army Chief Gen VK Singh on Monday demanded a probe into the alleged bugging attempt at his residence in Delhi last week, and wanted the identity of the person who had instructed the officer to enter his home to be made public.
"The identity of the person who had ordered the officer to go to my residence should be disclosed and the matter should be probed to ascertain why the officer entered and roamed around in my house without permission," Singh told reporters here on the sidelines of a function.
On Saturday, an army officer had landed at Singh`s house in Delhi Cantonment apparently to remove a telephone exchange from there. It was seen by Singh`s family as an attempt to install snooping device, after which the army apologised.
The family had claimed that Major R Vikram from 1st Signals Regiment entered their house without prior permission and may have been trying to bug their telephones.
"The matter is related with a former Army chief -- an institution and not an individual, so things should be clear," Singh demanded.
"I blame neither the officer nor the army, but the person who ordered him to go to my house, is responsible for this entire issue and his intention should be revealed," he said.
Asked about the withdrawal of his security cover, Singh said it was "deliberately highlighted".
Singh, who retired on May 31 last year, was given a Z `Plus` security cover till November 30 and he was allowed to stay in government accommodation in Delhi Cantonment area for one year after he had sought a nine-month extension from Defence Minister AK Antony.
In a review meeting, the Home Ministry had taken a decision that he does not require any protection.
"Security withdrawal is not an issue, but there is a need to understand why it was deliberately highlighted that my security was withdrawn," Singh, who during his stint as Army Chief was at loggerheads with the government following his age-related controversy, said.
Singh, however, said he never felt any threat and will continue to participate in constructive social activities to bring about a positive change in society.