Walia asks Health dept, MCD to take steps to control dengue
New Delhi: Concerned over rise in dengue
cases, Delhi Government today directed its Health department
and MCD to take all possible measures to control spread of the
disease before commencement of Commonwealth Games in October.
Health Minister Kiran Walia, expressing concern over the
rising number of dengue cases, said MCD and Health department
have been told to take all measures required to check the
Dengue cases continued to rise in the city as 20 more
people tested positive for the virus today taking the count of
people effected by the disease to 254.
As the threat of dengue looms large around Games venues
where construction activities are on, she said Government has
appointed a task force to control the disease. The task force
comprises officials from both Delhi Government and the MCD.
Asked about reports that Australian Commonwealth Games
Association keeping ready a container-load of mosquito
repellents to be used by its athletes if required during the
mega event here, Walia only said the city government was not
facing any scarcity of mosquito repellent.
"I am monitoring the situation very closely. The task
force has been asked to coordinate among various agencies and
suggest measures to check spread of the disease," she said
after a meeting with top officials of her department and MCD.
A senior MCD health official had said that number of
dengue cases at this time of the year was more in comparison
to the corresponding period last year.
Admitting that construction activities in the city may be
a reason for rise in dengue cases, Walia said Principal
Secretary (Health) Rajendra Kumar has also been told to
coordinate efforts to control the disease.
Walia also appealed to citizens to keep their households
clean and ensure that water does not accumulate in their
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing