Want to file a complaint against cops? Go to PGC
New Delhi: People in the city will now be
able to lodge complaint against police for any grievances like
misconduct, arrest or detention without due process of law,
custodial death and abuse of power to the Public Grievances Commission (PGC) of Delhi Government.
The Commission today said from April 13 onwards it will
also act as the Police Complaints Authority (PCA) apart from
carrying out inquiry into regular cases.
"The commission will also function as the Police
Complaints Authority (PCA) for the purpose of attending to the
complaints of serious acts misconduct against the police
personnel," the Commission said.
Officials said a Supreme Court ruling prompted the
decision for facilitating filing of complaint against police
personnel by citizens in case of serious allegations of
misconduct and abuse of power.
Prior approval from the Union Home Ministry, which is the
controlling authority of the Delhi Police, was obtained for
allowing the Commission to receive complaints against police.
"The Police Complaints Authority shall inquire into the
complaints of serious misconduct against police personnel
either `suo motu` or on a complaint received from a victim or
any person on his or her behalf," said the Commission.
Even complaints by National Human Rights Commission would
be taken up by the PGC.
The Commission said allegations such as custodial death,
rape or attempt to rape, extortion, abuse of power, arrest or
detention without due process of law and land or house
grabbing would be probed, provided it is satisfied prima facie
of the veracity of the complaint.
Any citizen can file complainant with PCA by post, e-mail
or at its office in Vikash Bhavan in ITO. The commission said
any sub-judiced matter or complaint already taken cognisance
by any court.
The commission said upon completion of its inquiry into a
complaint, it would communicate the findings to the police
commissioner with a recommendation to register an FIR and
initiate departmental action.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender