Want to file a complaint against cops? Go to PGC
  • This Section
  • Latest
  • Web Wrap
Last Updated: Monday, April 02, 2012, 21:16
New Delhi: People in the city will now be able to lodge complaint against police for any grievances like misconduct, arrest or detention without due process of law, custodial death and abuse of power to the Public Grievances Commission (PGC) of Delhi Government.

The Commission today said from April 13 onwards it will also act as the Police Complaints Authority (PCA) apart from carrying out inquiry into regular cases.

"The commission will also function as the Police Complaints Authority (PCA) for the purpose of attending to the complaints of serious acts misconduct against the police personnel," the Commission said.

Officials said a Supreme Court ruling prompted the decision for facilitating filing of complaint against police personnel by citizens in case of serious allegations of misconduct and abuse of power.

Prior approval from the Union Home Ministry, which is the controlling authority of the Delhi Police, was obtained for allowing the Commission to receive complaints against police.

"The Police Complaints Authority shall inquire into the complaints of serious misconduct against police personnel either 'suo motu' or on a complaint received from a victim or any person on his or her behalf," said the Commission.

Even complaints by National Human Rights Commission would be taken up by the PGC.

The Commission said allegations such as custodial death, rape or attempt to rape, extortion, abuse of power, arrest or detention without due process of law and land or house grabbing would be probed, provided it is satisfied prima facie of the veracity of the complaint.

Any citizen can file complainant with PCA by post, e-mail or at its office in Vikash Bhavan in ITO. The commission said any sub-judiced matter or complaint already taken cognisance by any court.

The commission said upon completion of its inquiry into a complaint, it would communicate the findings to the police commissioner with a recommendation to register an FIR and initiate departmental action.


First Published: Monday, April 02, 2012, 21:16

comments powered by Disqus