Want to spend post-retirement days in Kerala: Sreedharan
New Delhi: Having spent over 15 years in Delhi revolutionising its transport system, India`s iconic `Metro Man` E Sreedharan now says he wants to spend his post-retirement days in his native Kerala.
78-year-old Sreedharan, who is set to retire on December 31, 2010 when his fourth extension granted by the Delhi Government ends, feels he has "nothing more to achieve" in life as the Delhi Metro`s ambitious Phase-II nears completion.
"It is a matter of great pride that the Phase-II has been nearly completed. There is a great sense of achievement among us (the DMRC staff)," the soft-spoken Sreedharan, who has been heading the Delhi Metro since its inception in 1995 and has changed the way Delhi travels, told a news agency.
Asked whether he felt he has to achieve more in life, the `Metro Man` said, "I think I have achieved whatever I could. Being in Delhi Metro, we have achieved many things. I have nothing more (to achieve)."
On his post-retirement plans, Sreedharan, who underwent a beating heart surgery in April, says he wants to spend the days in Kerala.
"I will be off to Kerala (once I retire). I will be spending my days in my hometown in Kerala," he said. Though reports have it that Delhi Government may give him another extension, there is no clarity whether Sreedharan will accept.
But, sources in DMRC say whenever Sreedharan resigns he will go back to Kerala as he has always been keen to return to his home town near Thrissur. They say that the Metro chief`s sons want him to be in
Kerala once he retires.
"Work on sprucing up his home in Kerala has started. Work is on full swing and he will live there once he retires from Delhi Metro," the sources said.
The first Metro service rolled out in 2002 on a small stretch in north Delhi and within a span of eight years, the Delhi Metro network has grown to nearly 180 km connecting the national capital with its satellite cities of Noida and Gurgaon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads - Part II
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- Ravindra Jadeja gets engaged to Rajkot-based mechanical engineer Reeva Solanki
- 'Selfie' with Bulandshahr DM B Chandrakala lands 18-year-old in jail
- Smoking hot! Deepika Padukone's first look in 'xXx' with Vin Diesel creates storm!