Wary of protests, roads leading to Parliament blocked
New Delhi: Fearing protests, police Tuesday completely closed or heavily barricaded streets near Parliament House inconveniencing commuters.
The police action a day after Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde expressed strong displeasure over police "failure" to prevent anti-Sikh riots protesters from marching to high-security Vijay chowk and sought a report on the incident.
A large number of police personnel, including those from Rapid Action Force (RAF), were also deployed near Shinde`s residence on Krishna Menon Marg.
Portions of Rafi Marg, Rajendra Prasad Road, Talkatora, Rakabganj Road and Dalhousie Road, all leading to Parliament House were closed for traffic, causing traffic jams on all arterial roads.
Those who used buses to reach Central Secretariat were caught unawares and had to walk down from Janpath as buses were diverted.
Huge snarls were reported from near RML Hospital, Gol Dhakana and other areas.
A late night advisory issued by traffic police yesterday only specified closure of Rafi Marg from round abouts of Sunehri Masjid and Rail Bhawan.
"Due to ongoing Parliament session, large number of VVIPs/motorists are visiting Vijay Chowk, Parliament House, Rafi Marg and surrounding areas. Section 144 CrPC has been imposed. Rafi Marg has been closed from 7th May onwards," Anil Shukla, Additional Commissioner of Police (Traffic), had said in the advisory.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list