Water level in Yamuna hovering near danger level
New Delhi: The water level in Yamuna on Monday inched closer to the danger level prompting the authorities to evacuate families living in the low-lying areas in East Delhi as threat of floods loomed large.
"The water level in Yamuna rose primarily due to incessant rains and release of around one lakh cusecs of water by Haryana from Hathini Kund barrage into the river. But there was no need to panic," Revenue Minister A K Walia said.
A senior official said people are being evacuated from the banks of Yamuna as the water level in the river touched 204.16 metres and it may cross the danger level of 204.83 metres soon.
Fearing a flood-like situation, the government asked the people living in low-lying areas to move to safer places and directed concerned agencies to put up tents as well as coordinate their efforts in combating any eventualities.
Walia said deputy commissioners and officials of the Irrigation and Flood Control department are closely monitoring the situation.
The government has activated control rooms in several areas and made all the arrangements to address any possible eventuality.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Narendra Modi and Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'