Water supply in Delhi likely to be affected
New Delhi: Several areas in the national capital may face water shortage as treatment at two major plants had to be curtailed following high-quantity of ammonia in raw water.
"Today, the ammonia level in raw water has risen to 1.2 ppm against the limit of 0.2 ppm forcing DJB to curtail production at Wazirabad and Chandrawal WTPs by 50 per cent," said a senior Delhi Jal Board official.
The Chandrawal and Wazirabad water treatment plants get raw water from Haryana.
The DJB has already taken up the matter with the Haryana government as well as the Centre.
In the morning, DJB had dispatched an inspection team to Haryana identify the source of pollution.
The team comprising officers from Treatment and Quality Control wing of DJB has attributed rise in pollution in Yamuna water to high concentration of industrial and domestic waste being released into the river through Panipat drain.
"While taking up the matter with Central Pollution Control Board and Haryana, DJB is constantly monitoring the raw water parameters and taking all necessary steps to ensure that water supply to the citizens is potable," the DJB official said.
CEO of DJB Vijay Kumar has already spoken to Principal Secretary of Haryana Irrigation department to take immediate steps to prevent the flows of pollutants from entering the river Yamuna.
Another DJB official said water supply will be affected in several areas in Central, North, and South Delhi in the next few days.
"Normal production shall be restored at both the plants as soon as pollution level recedes," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars