Water tax: Delhi govt announces relief for consumers
New Delhi: Under attack for "inflated" water bills, Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit Wednesday announced waiver on late payment fee and interest on arrears for water and sewerage charges levied by Delhi Jal Board.
Dikshit, who is also Chairperson of DJB, after a lengthy meeting with senior ministers, MLAs and top officials of the agency, said consumers will require to clear the current bills only.
"DJB will organise special camps across Delhi to resolve billing issues in the next two months. Dispute Resolution Committees will be set up to settle issues relating to billing," Dikshit said.
A campaign will soon be launched for settling arrears in the bills, she said.
"We are taking a number of measures to provide relief to the consumers. The measures include waiving off late payment surcharge for domestic consumers," she said.
The government has been flooded with complaints of inflated water and power bills in the last few months.
"Our government has always been sensitive to concerns of the people," she said.
The Chief Minister instructed the DJB to install notice boards outside all its zonal offices to inform people about the government`s decision for settlement of arrears and waiving off late payment surcharge.
Dikshit instructed DJB Chief Executive Officer Debashree Mukherjee to set up a special cell in her office to deal complaints and suggestions of MPs and MLAs.
The MLAs made a number of suggestions which included ensuring issuance of monthly bill, introduction of slab-based charges for `jhughi jhopri` and resettlement colonies and setting up of a permanent grievance redressal mechanism.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader