Water tax: Delhi govt announces relief for consumers
New Delhi: Under attack for "inflated" water bills, Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit Wednesday announced waiver on late payment fee and interest on arrears for water and sewerage charges levied by Delhi Jal Board.
Dikshit, who is also Chairperson of DJB, after a lengthy meeting with senior ministers, MLAs and top officials of the agency, said consumers will require to clear the current bills only.
"DJB will organise special camps across Delhi to resolve billing issues in the next two months. Dispute Resolution Committees will be set up to settle issues relating to billing," Dikshit said.
A campaign will soon be launched for settling arrears in the bills, she said.
"We are taking a number of measures to provide relief to the consumers. The measures include waiving off late payment surcharge for domestic consumers," she said.
The government has been flooded with complaints of inflated water and power bills in the last few months.
"Our government has always been sensitive to concerns of the people," she said.
The Chief Minister instructed the DJB to install notice boards outside all its zonal offices to inform people about the government`s decision for settlement of arrears and waiving off late payment surcharge.
Dikshit instructed DJB Chief Executive Officer Debashree Mukherjee to set up a special cell in her office to deal complaints and suggestions of MPs and MLAs.
The MLAs made a number of suggestions which included ensuring issuance of monthly bill, introduction of slab-based charges for `jhughi jhopri` and resettlement colonies and setting up of a permanent grievance redressal mechanism.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed