Water tax: Delhi govt announces relief for consumers
New Delhi: Under attack for "inflated" water bills, Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit Wednesday announced waiver on late payment fee and interest on arrears for water and sewerage charges levied by Delhi Jal Board.
Dikshit, who is also Chairperson of DJB, after a lengthy meeting with senior ministers, MLAs and top officials of the agency, said consumers will require to clear the current bills only.
"DJB will organise special camps across Delhi to resolve billing issues in the next two months. Dispute Resolution Committees will be set up to settle issues relating to billing," Dikshit said.
A campaign will soon be launched for settling arrears in the bills, she said.
"We are taking a number of measures to provide relief to the consumers. The measures include waiving off late payment surcharge for domestic consumers," she said.
The government has been flooded with complaints of inflated water and power bills in the last few months.
"Our government has always been sensitive to concerns of the people," she said.
The Chief Minister instructed the DJB to install notice boards outside all its zonal offices to inform people about the government`s decision for settlement of arrears and waiving off late payment surcharge.
Dikshit instructed DJB Chief Executive Officer Debashree Mukherjee to set up a special cell in her office to deal complaints and suggestions of MPs and MLAs.
The MLAs made a number of suggestions which included ensuring issuance of monthly bill, introduction of slab-based charges for `jhughi jhopri` and resettlement colonies and setting up of a permanent grievance redressal mechanism.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi