Water tax: Delhi govt announces relief for consumers
New Delhi: Under attack for "inflated" water bills, Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit Wednesday announced waiver on late payment fee and interest on arrears for water and sewerage charges levied by Delhi Jal Board.
Dikshit, who is also Chairperson of DJB, after a lengthy meeting with senior ministers, MLAs and top officials of the agency, said consumers will require to clear the current bills only.
"DJB will organise special camps across Delhi to resolve billing issues in the next two months. Dispute Resolution Committees will be set up to settle issues relating to billing," Dikshit said.
A campaign will soon be launched for settling arrears in the bills, she said.
"We are taking a number of measures to provide relief to the consumers. The measures include waiving off late payment surcharge for domestic consumers," she said.
The government has been flooded with complaints of inflated water and power bills in the last few months.
"Our government has always been sensitive to concerns of the people," she said.
The Chief Minister instructed the DJB to install notice boards outside all its zonal offices to inform people about the government`s decision for settlement of arrears and waiving off late payment surcharge.
Dikshit instructed DJB Chief Executive Officer Debashree Mukherjee to set up a special cell in her office to deal complaints and suggestions of MPs and MLAs.
The MLAs made a number of suggestions which included ensuring issuance of monthly bill, introduction of slab-based charges for `jhughi jhopri` and resettlement colonies and setting up of a permanent grievance redressal mechanism.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city