`We do not want DMRC to be burdened by projects outside Delhi`
New Delhi: Echoing Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit`s views on not burdening DMRC with projects outside Delhi, Urban Development Minister Arvinder Singh Lovely said the Metro must focus on its work in the National Capital as it was meant for intra-city transport.
"Yes, she is absolutely correct. It is not a question of whether Delhi Metro has been burdened or not.... Metro is not inter-state railway. DMRC was created for intra city network. If you want to run Metro inter-state, within different cities, then what is the difference between Metro and Railway," Lovely asked.
Dikshit had shot off a letter last month to Defence Minister A K Antony, who heads the Group of Ministers (GoM) on Mass Rapid Transit System, in which she said DMRC should not be given work outside the capital as it may affect phase three expansion of metro network in Delhi.
"We do not want the DMRC to be burdened further," Lovely told PTI.
The Chief Minister sent the letter to Antony after Haryana and Uttar Pradesh Governments made announcements related to expansion of Metro network in their states.
In her letter to Antony, Dikshit said that the announcements were made without the approval of the GoM and without consulting her Government, which has a 50 per cent share in the Delhi Metro Rail Corporation.
The Chief Minister conveyed to Antony that maintaining the huge infrastructure of the Delhi Metro is a demanding task and diverting its resources to neighbouring towns may adversely affect its functioning and maintenance of its network in the capital.
Dikshit has also asked Antony to advise the governments of Uttar Pradesh and Haryana not to make announcements related to expansion of DMRC network in these states without consulting her government.
Dikshit has been showcasing the metro network as a major achievement of her tenure as Chief Minister of Delhi in the last 14 years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Irish fans eye revenge against France; Germany take on Slovakia; Hungary face Belgium
- IIFA 2016 Fashion Trends: Top 6 looks that nailed it at the green carpet! - View pics
- WATCH: OH MY WORD! Did Xherdan Shaqiri score greatest ever Euro goal?
- Lachipora encounter: Security forces shot dead 2 militants; gunbattle underway
- IIFA 2016: Ranveer Singh gets his fanboy moment with Fawad Khan!