We erred, says traffic chief a day after mega jam
New Delhi: A day after vehicular movement was
thrown out of gear on city roads due to AutoExpo, Delhi
Traffic Police chief Satyendra Garg on Saturday admitted it was a
"bad show" on their part in dealing with the chaos which led
to harrowing times for commuters.
Traffic was disrupted for hours in central and south
Delhi last evening due to AutoExpo in Pragati Maidan and VVIP
movement near India Gate.
"For yesterday`s traffic difficulties in New Delhi and
surrounding areas, there are no excuses. It was bad show on
our part. We could have managed the difficult situation much
better," Joint Commissioner of Police (Traffic) Garg said.
"I am aware of the extreme difficulties people had to go
through in the evening particularly around India Gate and all
roads around it. We promise to do better in similar
circumstances," he said.
With the AutoExpo being billed as the major reason for
the mayhem, Garg said that Pragati Maidan may not be the place
to hold an event like Auto expo.
"May be, traffic police should refuse no-objection
certificate for future events like this," he said.
It was bumber to bumper traffic at India Gate, Ashoka
Road, ITO, Lodhi Colony and Connaught Place last evening for
hours besides other important locations and drivers were
complaining that they could not move an inch for hours.
Police also attributed the traffic chaos to the traffic
arrangements made near India Gate to facilitate movement of
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and his Trininad and Tobago
counterpart Kamla Persad-Bissessar who were to meet at
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM