We erred, says traffic chief a day after mega jam
New Delhi: A day after vehicular movement was
thrown out of gear on city roads due to AutoExpo, Delhi
Traffic Police chief Satyendra Garg on Saturday admitted it was a
"bad show" on their part in dealing with the chaos which led
to harrowing times for commuters.
Traffic was disrupted for hours in central and south
Delhi last evening due to AutoExpo in Pragati Maidan and VVIP
movement near India Gate.
"For yesterday`s traffic difficulties in New Delhi and
surrounding areas, there are no excuses. It was bad show on
our part. We could have managed the difficult situation much
better," Joint Commissioner of Police (Traffic) Garg said.
"I am aware of the extreme difficulties people had to go
through in the evening particularly around India Gate and all
roads around it. We promise to do better in similar
circumstances," he said.
With the AutoExpo being billed as the major reason for
the mayhem, Garg said that Pragati Maidan may not be the place
to hold an event like Auto expo.
"May be, traffic police should refuse no-objection
certificate for future events like this," he said.
It was bumber to bumper traffic at India Gate, Ashoka
Road, ITO, Lodhi Colony and Connaught Place last evening for
hours besides other important locations and drivers were
complaining that they could not move an inch for hours.
Police also attributed the traffic chaos to the traffic
arrangements made near India Gate to facilitate movement of
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and his Trininad and Tobago
counterpart Kamla Persad-Bissessar who were to meet at
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news