We will let people frame their laws in Delhi: Arvind Kejriwal
New Delhi: Aam Aadmi Party leader Arvind Kejriwal on Friday promised to enact a law that would let people frame their laws in Delhi if his party won the coming election.
Kejriwal was addressing students at St Stephens College in Delhi University. He urged them to oust the "corrupt" Congress government in the city in assembly election expected in November.
"If my party wins, I will formulate a law like in the US where people make laws in Town Hall meetings, and mayors and bureaucrats then implement the law," Kejriwal said.
A town meeting is a form of direct democratic rule, used primarily in the US - principally in New England - since the 17th century, where most or all members of a community come together to legislate policy and budgets for local government.
Kejriwal attacked the Sheila Dikshit-led Congress government.
"Around 25 legislators in Delhi face serious criminal charges like rape, sexual assault and kidnapping. So Delhi will not pass any legislation against such crimes because if they do, a majority of them will go to jail," he added.
He slammed the Delhi government over a host of issues, from power to water.
Asked why he joined politics, Kejriwal said: "I have joined politics to clean the system, as dirty politics is the root of all the problems in the world."
He said his party won`t field people with criminal background.
"Everything about our party is transparent. All the 70 candidates will be without any criminal charges. Two people from the same family will not be given ticket as we want to get rid of family politics," said Kejriwal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- How has life changed since govt's demonetisation move?
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof