We will miss Sreedharan`s services: Dikshit
New Delhi: E Sreedharan, credited with creating the Delhi Metro network that has changed the way Delhiites travel, retires Saturday as head of Delhi Metro. Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit says the city will miss the Metro Man.
Dikshit said: "He (Sreedharan) is known for his outstanding work. His managerial skills are admirable. We will miss his services."
Dikshit said the planning and timely execution of the Metro project by Sreedhran was admirable.
Sreedharan, 79, fondly called the `Metro Man`, retires Dec 31 after a 15-year tenure as Delhi Metro chief. The Metro has made public transport affordable, reliable and a safe travel option for people in Delhi and its adjoining towns in Haryana and Uttar Pradesh.
Sreedharan was scheduled to retire in 2000, but was requested repeatedly by the Delhi government to continue as DMRC chief.
He was given five extensions so that work on Delhi Metro`s Phase I and II was not hindered.
Mangu Singh, 56 and the Metro`s Director (Works) who oversaw the construction of the showcase Airport Express Metro, will be Sreedharan`s successor.
Singh will be in-charge of Delhi Metro`s Phase-III that will bring another 103 km of the capital under the Metro network.
The engineer is also in-charge for consultancy works undertaken by Delhi Metro for planning Metro systems in Mumbai, Chennai, Hyderabad, Kolkata, Ahmedabad and Kochi.
Dikshit said: "Phase III will be come up under a different leadership. It is not right to compare the new person with Sreedharan or comment on him...
We are confident he is capable as he has been picked up by a committee. He will definitely be able to do well."
Delhi Metro`s 160 trains make about 2,400 trips a day and carry about 18 lakh passengers on working days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in