We will miss Sreedharan`s services: Dikshit
New Delhi: E Sreedharan, credited with creating the Delhi Metro network that has changed the way Delhiites travel, retires Saturday as head of Delhi Metro. Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit says the city will miss the Metro Man.
Dikshit said: "He (Sreedharan) is known for his outstanding work. His managerial skills are admirable. We will miss his services."
Dikshit said the planning and timely execution of the Metro project by Sreedhran was admirable.
Sreedharan, 79, fondly called the `Metro Man`, retires Dec 31 after a 15-year tenure as Delhi Metro chief. The Metro has made public transport affordable, reliable and a safe travel option for people in Delhi and its adjoining towns in Haryana and Uttar Pradesh.
Sreedharan was scheduled to retire in 2000, but was requested repeatedly by the Delhi government to continue as DMRC chief.
He was given five extensions so that work on Delhi Metro`s Phase I and II was not hindered.
Mangu Singh, 56 and the Metro`s Director (Works) who oversaw the construction of the showcase Airport Express Metro, will be Sreedharan`s successor.
Singh will be in-charge of Delhi Metro`s Phase-III that will bring another 103 km of the capital under the Metro network.
The engineer is also in-charge for consultancy works undertaken by Delhi Metro for planning Metro systems in Mumbai, Chennai, Hyderabad, Kolkata, Ahmedabad and Kochi.
Dikshit said: "Phase III will be come up under a different leadership. It is not right to compare the new person with Sreedharan or comment on him...
We are confident he is capable as he has been picked up by a committee. He will definitely be able to do well."
Delhi Metro`s 160 trains make about 2,400 trips a day and carry about 18 lakh passengers on working days.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy