Will bring BJP govt in Delhi: Vijay Goel
New Delhi: Vowing to bring BJP back into power in Delhi where it has lost three consecutive assembly elections, newly appointed state BJP President Vijay Goel on Sunday said the Sheila Diskhit government will be dethroned in the upcoming polls as people were fed up with it.
"There is no challenge for me, I am the challenge for Congress. Give me 200 days, I will give you government in Delhi," he said while addressing party workers at a function here.
Goel, who was the party General Secretary before being appointed as party`s state chief, was on Friday appointed by BJP President Rajnath Singh. He succeeded Vijendra Gupta who has completed his three-year term as the Delhi BJP President.
Thanking Singh, Goel said,"he has given me maximum responsibility after (Atal Bihari) Vajpayee."
Geol was a Minister of State in the Prime Minister`s Office in the Atal Bihari Vajpayee-led NDA government.
The new Delhi BJP chief said over 50,000 people will gather at Jantar Mantar on January 20 to protest against the remarks made by Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde on "terrorism".
Extending his wishes, former Delhi BJP President Vijender Gupta said, "We all will work together for the party."
On his part, Goel credited Gupta with leading BJP to victory in the Municipal elections.
Leader of the opposition in Delhi Assembly V K Malhotra assured Goel of full support.
"Looking at the enthusiasm in the workers it is clear that they have faith in Vijay Goel. We all are with with him and I assure him the support of all MLAs of the party," he said.
Addressing the workers, senior BJP leader Harsh Vardhan said, "today people are fed up of misgovernance of Delhi government and they need freedom from it. BJP will uproot Congress government from the state."
Goel will head Delhi BJP at a time when BJP is hoping return to power in the state after 14 years.
When asked about the timing of leadership change, Gupta parried a direct answer but said "the question is logical".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!