Will challenge Sajjan`s acquittal: Shiromani Akali Dal
New Delhi: Terming as "very unfortunate" the acquittal of Congress leader Sajjan Kumar in a 1984 anti-Sikh riots case, Shiromani Akali Dal today said it will challenge the court order and demanded the setting up of a court- monitored Special Investigation Team to probe the riot cases.
"The acquittal of Sajjan Kumar is sad and very unfortunate. We will challenge it in a higher court," Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal said.
Badal said while there was direct evidence against Kumar in the anti-Sikh riots case, he wondered how the Congress leader alone was left out while all other accused in the case have been convicted based on the evidence against them.
"Everyone in the country knows he (Kumar) was directly involved. There was direct evidence against him by witnesses who had come forward. The Sikh community is feeling very sad that justice has not been given," the chief minister said.
SAD president and Punjab Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal said, "This is the saddest day in the history of Sikhs and India. We will appeal in a higher court. We will continue to fight till we get justice."
"The way CBI was used to save the guilty in the coal scam, in Sajjan Kumar`s case and also the whole CBI team was used by the Congress party to save him," Sukhbir said.
Bathinda MP Harsimrat Badal said, "Congress has used all its political clout and power to save Sajjan Kumar in the 1984 anti-Sikh riots case because they knew that Kumar will reveal the names of all those at whose behest he had done so."
"If there can be a court-monitored SIT for the Godhra riots in Gujarat, why can`t it be there for the anti-Sikh riots in which thousands of Sikhs were killed and no convictions taken place? We will demand a SIT monitored by the court," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof