Will file defamation case against Dikshit: Iqbal
New Delhi: Alleging a conspiracy to link
him to a controversial land deal, LJP MLA Shoaib Iqbal today
said he will file a defamation case against Chief Minister
Sheila Dikshit and the Delhi government for "trying to tarnish
Raising the issue in the Assembly, Iqbal alleged that
Revenue Minister Raj Kumar Chouhan was behind a "conspiracy"
under which he and his wife were accused of grabbing an `enemy
property` in an Old Delhi locality in connivance with a
Dubai-based luxury hotel chain.
An enemy property is one that has been vacated by a
person who moved to Pakistan during partition and is now under
the government`s hold.
"The allegations were made without any basis. The
media carried the story for almost a week giving immense
mental pain to me and my wife," the Matia Mahal MLA said.
In January, Delhi Government had frozen a land deal
between some alleged local mafia elements and a Dubai-based
company, claimed to have "questionable antecedents", to set up
a luxury hotel near the historic Jama Masjid. It was alleged
that Iqbal had links with the project.
Rejecting the allegations as "totally baseless", the
sole LJP MLA said there is a police post and a Congress office
at the land in question and that a case relating to the
property has been pending in the Delhi High Court for last 16
"I will file a defamation case against the Chief
Minister and the Government. The silence maintained by the
Chief Minister on the issue makes it clear that the conspiracy
was hatched with support from the Chief Minister," Iqbal told
Replying to the Iqbal`s statement, Chouhan said in the
Assembly that the city government had banned sale and purchase
of all enemy properties following a direction of Custodian of
"We never targeted an individual. After getting an
order from the Custodian of Enemy properties, we banned sale
and purchase of all such properties...if you want, we are
ready for a detailed probe into it also," Chouhan said.
As Iqbal alleged that "powerful people have also
grabbed enemy properties in the city", senior BJP leader V K
Malhotra demanded a through probe into the issue.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed