Will onions, price rise hurt Sheila Dikshit in Delhi elections?
Zee Media Bureau / Deepak Nagpal
New Delhi: Elections in Delhi are just around the corner - late November or early December to be specific. And incumbent Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit is aiming for a record fourth-straight term.
But, the big question is: will the CM retain power for the Congress in the national capital.
Going by the current sentiment, it is tough to give a definite reply.
With onion prices soaring, inflation at high levels, women’s security in doubt, corruption prevailing everywhere, proper cleanliness and sanitation lacking, Sheila may find it tough this time to win simple majority.
A survey conducted by an English daily and a research firm shows the Congress may win between 32 and 37 seats in the impending polls, much less than the 41 seats claimed last time.
However, the 75-year-old soft-spoken leader continues to remain the first choice of the Delhi electorate for CM’s post.
And with the BJP being literally faceless – very few connect with BJP state president Vijay Goel – the Aam Admi Party (AAP) stands to benefit the most.
The survey with a sample size of 14,689 voters showed BJP’s Vijay Goel was the CM choice of just 18 per cent of voters, while 22 per cent favoured Arvind Kejriwal of the AAP. Sheila was the choice of 29% electorate.
The survey further showed the BJP could win anywhere between 22 to 27 seats while the AAP may bag between 7 and 12 seats – a noteworthy performance for a party that didn’t exist a year back.
Of the people wanting to vote for the AAP, most were young and first-time voters.
Sheila Dikshit, meanwhile, continues to exude confidence and says the “brilliant work” done by her government will ensure victory in the elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing