Will write to PM for Nihalchand`s dismissal: NCW chief
New Delhi: The National Commission for Women (NCW) today said it will write to Prime Minister Narendra Modi, demanding dismissal of Union minister Nihalchand after his name came up in an alleged rape case.
"This is really unacceptable. Even when a minister commits a heinous crime like rape, the punishment meted out to him should be the same as that for a commoner.
"I will write to the Prime Minister and seek action against the minister.... The minister must be immediately dismissed from government," NCW chairperson Mamta Sharma said.
Nihalchand and 16 others were named in an FIR lodged by a 24-year-old married woman from Jaipur. In the FIR filed in 2011, she alleged that the accused had sexually exploited her.
Nihalchand and the other accused have been asked by a Jaipur court to appear before it in connection with the case. The notices were issued by the court on a review petition filed by the complainant.
Nihalchand is the the Union Minister of State for Chemicals and Fertiliser and the only MP from Rajasthan in Modi`s Cabinet.
Congress has already questioned Modi`s silence over the issue while demanding Nihalchand`s resignation. Congress leader Shobha Oza had said that despite Modi giving speeches on the safety of women, Nihalchand is yet to be sacked.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi