Witness says he did not see Sajjan Kumar during 1984 riots
New Delhi: A witness in 1984 anti-Sikh riots
on Tuesday told a Delhi court, trying senior Congress leader
Sajjan Kumar, that he had not seen the politician during the
carnage that took place following the assassination of then
Prime Minister Indira Gandhi.
"It is correct that I had stated in my statement before
CBI that during this period I did not see Sajjan Kumar,
the then Member of Parliament in the area," witness Joginder
Singh told Additional Sessions Judge Sunita Gupta.
The witness made the statement during his
cross-examination by defence counsel Anil Kumar Sharma.
The former outer Delhi MP is facing prosecution in two
cases relating to the riots.
According to CBI, Singh had never claimed to have seen
Kumar during the riots but is a witness to the involvement of
other accused Balwan Khokhar, Krishan Khokhar, Mahender Yadav
and Captain Bhagmal.
"I had stated in my statement before the magistrate
that on November 1, 1984, at about 7.30 am, I, along with my
wife, came out of Gurudwara and saw that a mob was coming from
Mehrauli Road side. I could identify Balwan, Krishan, Yadav,
Bhagmal....among the mob," he said.
The 53-year-old witness, whose father-in-law had been
killed in the riots, was cross-examined on his statement made
before the magistrate under Section 164 of the Criminal
Procedure Code besides his version recorded by CBI.
His cross-examination remained inconclusive and is likely
to resume on November 29.
Kumar, along with others, are facing trial for the killing
of five persons at Delhi Cantonment during the 1984 anti-Sikh
CBI had filed two chargesheets against Kumar and others on
January 13 in the riot cases registered in 2005 on the
recommendation by G T Nanavati Commission.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened