Woman accused of abetting rape denied bail by court
New Delhi: A woman accused of helping her nephew in allegedly raping his girlfriend by administering her a stupefying substance with her tea has been denied bail by a Delhi court on fears that she might "flee from justice."
Additional Sessions Judge Vikas Dhull rejected Munni`s bail plea saying she had abetted the offence by providing intoxicating tea and had absconded soon after the FIR was lodged in the case and had to be declared proclaimed offender.
"From the allegations made by the prosecutors, there is prima facie material to show that accused Munni had abetted the commission of rape by providing intoxicating tea and by locking the door from outside.
"Further immediately after registration of the FIR, she had absconded and was declared proclaimed offender on August 17, 2011. Having regard to her past antecedents of fleeing from justice, I am not inclined to exercise discretion in favour of accused Munni by releasing her on bail," the court said while dismissing her bail.
As per the prosecution, the girl had lodged a complaint with the police on February 1, 2011 alleging that the accused and her nephew had visited her at her flat in West Delhi while she was resting there due to bad health.
"Accused Munni had got a cup of tea for the girl which made her unconscious. After the girl woke up she found herself at Munni`s house, where main accused Manoj had committed rape upon her," the prosecution had said.
Counsel for Munni had sought bail saying she is a woman and has two minor kids to take care of.
The counsel had added the accused had been falsely implicated in the case as her nephew was having a love affair with the girl and the girl`s parents were against it.
"On instigation of the girl`s mother, FIR against accused Manoj was lodged and she (Munni) was falsely implicated being the maternal aunt of accused Manoj," he had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral