Woman accused of abetting rape denied bail by court
New Delhi: A woman accused of helping her nephew in allegedly raping his girlfriend by administering her a stupefying substance with her tea has been denied bail by a Delhi court on fears that she might "flee from justice."
Additional Sessions Judge Vikas Dhull rejected Munni`s bail plea saying she had abetted the offence by providing intoxicating tea and had absconded soon after the FIR was lodged in the case and had to be declared proclaimed offender.
"From the allegations made by the prosecutors, there is prima facie material to show that accused Munni had abetted the commission of rape by providing intoxicating tea and by locking the door from outside.
"Further immediately after registration of the FIR, she had absconded and was declared proclaimed offender on August 17, 2011. Having regard to her past antecedents of fleeing from justice, I am not inclined to exercise discretion in favour of accused Munni by releasing her on bail," the court said while dismissing her bail.
As per the prosecution, the girl had lodged a complaint with the police on February 1, 2011 alleging that the accused and her nephew had visited her at her flat in West Delhi while she was resting there due to bad health.
"Accused Munni had got a cup of tea for the girl which made her unconscious. After the girl woke up she found herself at Munni`s house, where main accused Manoj had committed rape upon her," the prosecution had said.
Counsel for Munni had sought bail saying she is a woman and has two minor kids to take care of.
The counsel had added the accused had been falsely implicated in the case as her nephew was having a love affair with the girl and the girl`s parents were against it.
"On instigation of the girl`s mother, FIR against accused Manoj was lodged and she (Munni) was falsely implicated being the maternal aunt of accused Manoj," he had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre