Woman accused of abetting rape gets bail
New Delhi: A woman accused of helping her nephew in allegedly raping his girlfriend by giving her tea laced with a sedative was granted bail by a Delhi court on Wednesday.
Observing that the nephew, who is accused of raping the girl, has been acquitted by the Juvenile Justice Board, Additional Sessions Judge Vikas Dhull granted bail to Munni, while noting that she has two kids to take care of.
The woman is in custody since August 30 this year.
"The only allegation against the accused is of abetting the commission of rape by providing intoxicating tea and by locking the door from outside," the court said and ordered her release on furnishing a personal bond of Rs 15,000 with one surety of the like amount.
The court also asked her not to intimidate any of the witnesses either herself or through her relatives while out on bail.
As per the prosecution, the girl had lodged a complaint with the police on February 1, 2011 alleging that Munni and her nephew had visited her at her flat in West Delhi while she was resting there due to bad health.
"Accused Munni had got a cup of tea for the girl which made her unconscious. After the girl woke up she found herself at Munni`s house, where the main accused boy had committed rape upon her," the prosecution had said.
Counsel for Munni had sought bail saying the charge sheet in the case has already been filed so keeping her in jail will not serve any purpose as the main accused is being let off.
Also, it was submitted that the woman was suffering from various diseases and there was no female member to look after her kids.
The counsel had alleged that the woman had been falsely implicated in the case as her nephew was having an affair with the girl, whose parents were against it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’