Woman accused of abetting rape gets bail
New Delhi: A woman accused of helping her nephew in allegedly raping his girlfriend by giving her tea laced with a sedative was granted bail by a Delhi court on Wednesday.
Observing that the nephew, who is accused of raping the girl, has been acquitted by the Juvenile Justice Board, Additional Sessions Judge Vikas Dhull granted bail to Munni, while noting that she has two kids to take care of.
The woman is in custody since August 30 this year.
"The only allegation against the accused is of abetting the commission of rape by providing intoxicating tea and by locking the door from outside," the court said and ordered her release on furnishing a personal bond of Rs 15,000 with one surety of the like amount.
The court also asked her not to intimidate any of the witnesses either herself or through her relatives while out on bail.
As per the prosecution, the girl had lodged a complaint with the police on February 1, 2011 alleging that Munni and her nephew had visited her at her flat in West Delhi while she was resting there due to bad health.
"Accused Munni had got a cup of tea for the girl which made her unconscious. After the girl woke up she found herself at Munni`s house, where the main accused boy had committed rape upon her," the prosecution had said.
Counsel for Munni had sought bail saying the charge sheet in the case has already been filed so keeping her in jail will not serve any purpose as the main accused is being let off.
Also, it was submitted that the woman was suffering from various diseases and there was no female member to look after her kids.
The counsel had alleged that the woman had been falsely implicated in the case as her nephew was having an affair with the girl, whose parents were against it.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!