Woman attempts suicide near Parliament House
New Delhi: Miffed over not getting a job on compassionate grounds after her father`s death, a 25-year-old woman hailing from Jharkhand attempted suicide today near the Parliament House, police said.
According to police, Sukumari (25) consumed pesticide around 2 PM near a fountain at Vijay Chowk close to the Parliament House complex.
She was rushed to a nearby hospital where her condition is said to be out of danger, police said.
The woman consumed some pesticide as she was miffed over not getting a job in Central Coalfields Limited in Jharkhand after the death of her father who was employed with the company, said a police official.
According to the woman, her father died in 1989 and she was supposed to get a job on compassionate grounds.
She has claimed to have ran from pillar to post in attempts to get a job, but was not given one, he said.
The woman had arrived in the national capital yesterday and wanted to commit suicide near the Parliament House so that her plight would come into notice, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Ganga river crosses danger mark in UP, Bihar and West Bengal
- NDMC issues notices to President's Estate for mosquito breeding
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- 7th Pay Commission: Government employees likely to get revised allowances from October
- 'Nervous' Pakistan lodges FIR against Baloch leaders for 'supporting' PM Modi's statement on Balochistan
- Amnesty row: Karnataka Home Minister G Parameshwara takes U-turn, denies giving clean-chit
- Volkswagen cuts 28,000 workers' hours over supply woes
- 1% TCS on cash buy not to apply on embassies, UN bodies, Govt depts