Woman attempts suicide near Parliament House
New Delhi: Miffed over not getting a job on compassionate grounds after her father`s death, a 25-year-old woman hailing from Jharkhand attempted suicide today near the Parliament House, police said.
According to police, Sukumari (25) consumed pesticide around 2 PM near a fountain at Vijay Chowk close to the Parliament House complex.
She was rushed to a nearby hospital where her condition is said to be out of danger, police said.
The woman consumed some pesticide as she was miffed over not getting a job in Central Coalfields Limited in Jharkhand after the death of her father who was employed with the company, said a police official.
According to the woman, her father died in 1989 and she was supposed to get a job on compassionate grounds.
She has claimed to have ran from pillar to post in attempts to get a job, but was not given one, he said.
The woman had arrived in the national capital yesterday and wanted to commit suicide near the Parliament House so that her plight would come into notice, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- Kerala: Medical college prohibits girls from wearing jeans, noisy ornaments
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- DNA: Analysing the derogatory remarks made by Chinese Newspaper on Indians
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption