Woman brutalised with iron rod in South Delhi discharged
New Delhi: A 19-year-old woman who was critically injured after a man inserted an iron rod into her mouth during a rape attempt in south Delhi was discharged from hospital, but unable to speak, police said Sunday.
"The doctors have discharged her after two surgeries on her throat, but still she can`t speak. Otherwise her condition is better now, she will be an out-patient," a senior police official told a news agency.
However, doctors at the All-India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) here refused to speak about the victim`s condition.
Anil Kumar, 26, a cable operator tried to rape the woman finding her alone at her house in south Delhi`s Lajpat Nagar around 8.30 pm Monday.
"Kumar went to the woman`s home to collect the monthly rent for the cable TV. Finding the woman alone, he tried to rape her. He inserted an iron rod inside her mouth when she cried for help," said a police officer.
Hearing the woman`s cries, some neighbours came to help her but Kumar managed to flee from the spot. He was later arrested.
The incident comes less than two months after the horrific rape of a 23-year-old trainee physiotherapist on a moving bus in the capital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!