Woman brutalised with iron rod in South Delhi discharged
New Delhi: A 19-year-old woman who was critically injured after a man inserted an iron rod into her mouth during a rape attempt in south Delhi was discharged from hospital, but unable to speak, police said Sunday.
"The doctors have discharged her after two surgeries on her throat, but still she can`t speak. Otherwise her condition is better now, she will be an out-patient," a senior police official told a news agency.
However, doctors at the All-India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) here refused to speak about the victim`s condition.
Anil Kumar, 26, a cable operator tried to rape the woman finding her alone at her house in south Delhi`s Lajpat Nagar around 8.30 pm Monday.
"Kumar went to the woman`s home to collect the monthly rent for the cable TV. Finding the woman alone, he tried to rape her. He inserted an iron rod inside her mouth when she cried for help," said a police officer.
Hearing the woman`s cries, some neighbours came to help her but Kumar managed to flee from the spot. He was later arrested.
The incident comes less than two months after the horrific rape of a 23-year-old trainee physiotherapist on a moving bus in the capital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog