Woman dies of burns, family accuses her in-laws of murder
New Delhi: A 35-year-old woman, who had sustained severe burn injuries under mysterious circumstances in Rohini, died at a hospital here on Friday.
Police have registered a case of dowry harassment after family members of the woman, identified as Savita Agarwal, alleged that she was set on fire by her in-laws.
He in-laws, however, denied the allegations and claimed that she committed suicide by setting herself on fire.
Agarwal was admitted to the Safdurjung Hospital on Tuesday night with 90 per cent burn injuries. Her husband Pradeep, a businessman, told the police that around 8.30 pm, the woman had poured kerosene and set herself ablaze at her matrimonial house in Rohini Sector-3.
Police are waiting for the autopsy report. They have also detained her husband and father-in-law for questioning.
The woman`s brother alleged that Savita had told them on phone that she was being harassed by her in-laws and they were planning to do something drastic. He said that she had even sent her two minor sons to their house in Prashant Vihar to keep them out of any harm.
"A few hours after she called, Pradeep informed us that Savita had tried to commit suicide by burning herself...," the woman`s brother said. He said Savita had told them in the hospital that she was burnt by her in-laws after she protested against their demand for a car.
Savita`s family members said she had married Pradeep in 2001 and had a son a year later after which her in-laws started demanding a luxury car. Her brother said they had given her a small car, but they demanded a luxury one.
He said that the harassment went on for 10 years during which the woman had informed the matter to the police, but she later chose to sort it out herself.
She had finally decided to register a complaint with the police early this month. Savita`s family members demanded her husband`s arrest.
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- VVIP chopper scam: Ex-IAF chief SP Tyagi had admitted to meeting middleman Haschke
- F-16 fighter jets sold to Pakistan could be used against India: US lawmakers
- Fee hike: Schools will not budge with dharnas, submit a written complaint, Manish Sisodia tells parents
- Know what Shah Rukh Khan feels about PM Narendra Modi’s ‘Make In India’ initiative
- Know how Karan Johar entertains ‘India's Got Talent’ co-judge Malaika Arora Khan