Woman gets compensation for land used by PWD
New Delhi: Uttar Pradesh government has paid Rs 9.1 lakh compensation to a woman whose land was used by Public Works Department to construct a road, complying with a direction of the National Human Rights Commission.
Triveni Devi Chauhan of Kabarai village in Mahoba district, UP was struggling to get compensation since 2006 for her four bighas of land used by the PWD to construct a road, but was not heard by the concerned authorities, an NHRC statement said.
Police too allegedly did not register her complaint against the PWD. However, a complaint on her behalf was lodged with the NHRC on June 26, 2011 seeking justice for the victim of PWD and police apathy.
The Commission, on consideration of facts placed before it on record, observed that admittedly some land belonging to the complainant was used by the PWD in construction of the road. Hence, she should have been given the compensation as per law.
Accordingly, the Chief Secretary, UP was directed to submit a report in the matter.
However, it was not before three reminders were sent to the Chief Secretary that the Special Secretary, PWD, UP Government, Lucknow, sent a report that after receiving a cheque for Rs 9,10,000 as sale consideration, Triveni Devi executed sale deed of the land in favour of the government of UP through Executive Engineer, Mahoba.
The copies of the reports of other officers and a copy of the registered sale deed were also sent to the Commission as proof of justice done in her case, the statement said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon