Woman held for posing as British national
New Delhi: A woman has been arrested for posing as a British national and allegedly cheating a Andhra Pradesh-based businessman of Rs 10 lakh, police said Friday.
Theresa Jovita D`Souza alias Rhea Jannet Mallon, 39, a resident of Goa, was arrested by the Economic Offence Wing officials last Wednesday last when she came to collect Rs 1.20 lakh from near a hotel in Paharganj on the complaint of Kurnool-based businessman P Rahmatullah, Jt CP (EOW) Sandeep Goel said.
Rahmatullah, who deals in granite stone, was contacted through email by one Johnson Mallon who claimed to be a British citizen and showed interest in becoming his business partner in India.
The woman along with Johnson Mallon met the businessman`s sons at a five-star hotel here in which she introduced herself as Rhea Jannet Mallon wife of Mallon and both of them claimed to be British citizens, the official said.
They had even given photocopies of their passports to him and promised huge investments in their granite business.
"Johnson Mallon also visited the complainant`s granite factory in Adoni by air at his expenses. During these meetings, the accused persons informed the victim that their USD 8,00,000 (around Rs 4 crore) was stuck in IMF, Delhi which they intended to invest in the complainant`s business," the official said.
Claiming that clearance of their money was getting delayed by the IMF and asked Rs 10 lakh from the victim, who anticipating it a good business proposal and heavy returns, transferred Rs nine lakh on two different occasions in two bank accounts as told by the accused persons, he said.
During interrogation she said that actually she was an Indian citizen and a native of Goa. She also told police that she used to do odd jobs in Goa and Mumbai prior to coming to Delhi.
She also revealed that her accomplices in the present offence are African nationals and not British citizens as told to the complainant. During search of her house, her original passport, copy of the letter written purportedly from IMF, 11 cheque books of different banks, credit and debit cards were recovered.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow