Woman held for stealing in-law`s jewellery
New Delhi: A 28-year-old woman was arrested
here for allegedly stealing her mother-in-law`s jewellery
worth about Rs 30 lakh to repay the loan she took for the
treatment of her first husband, police said today.
Five of her relatives, including mother and brother, were
also arrested for allegedly helping her in the crime, Deputy
Commissioner of Police (West) Sharad Aggarwal said.
The arrested have been identified as Meetu Talwar, her
mother Parvinder Kaur (45), brother Kamal Singh (24), aunt
Jagminder Kaur (42), uncle Sukhbir Singh (55) and a relative
Maher Singh (50).
"Meetu told us she had taken a large sum of money on
interest for the treatment of her first husband Narender which
she could not pay back. It was due to the pressure of
repayment of loan that Meetu decided to decamp with gold
jewellery," Aggarwal said.
She had on May 15 approached police claiming that cash
and jewellery worth Rs 30 lakh were missing from her house in
west Delhi`s Tilak Nagar. But, she along with her daughter,
mother and brother went underground three days later after
police began suspecting about her role in the case.
Meetu`s mother-in-law Har Kaur had told police that the
former used to manage the house. She also suspected that Meetu
and her brother Kamal might be behind the incident.
She was first married to Narender who died due to some
illness. After this, she married Narender`s younger brother
Nir Mohan, who is based in London.
During investigations it came to light that Meetu had
been indulging in financial deals involving large sums for the
last 2-3 years which included mortgaging, payment of interest
against principle and monthly committee schemes.
"She was under heavy debt. Later, we received an
information that the suspects were hiding in Mani Karan in
Himachal. A team went there but by that time they had left for
Delhi," Aggarwal said. They were arrested from the residence
of Mehar Singh, son in law of Timmy, whom they owed money.
Meetu told police that she served mango shake laced with
sedatives to Har Kaur and decamped with gold and diamond
jewellery worth Rs 30 lakh.
"She handed over the same to her mother who finally
passed it on to Timmy who gave it to her son-in-law Meher
Singh for disposing it off. A part of the jewellery was also
given to Sukhbir Singh for mortgaging. Meetu has also
mortgaged part of gold jewellery herself," Aggarwal said.
Jewellery worth around Rs 24 lakh was recovered from
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok