Woman impersonates as CBI witness, lands in trouble
New Delhi: A 40-year-old woman landed herself in trouble after impersonating as a prosecution witness in a CBI case and deposing before a special court here.
Shabnam had impersonated as Charu Saxena, a CBI witness, in a corruption case involving MCD officials and builders and got her statement recorded before special CBI judge Pradeep Chaddah.
The drama unfolded itself on a day when the matter was fixed for prosecution evidence and few witnesses were present in the court.
The CBI prosecutor commenced examination of prosecution witnesses. The prosecutor examined Shabnam, impersonating as Charu Saxena, in part and her remaining examination was deferred for want of original sale deed.
She told the court that she had not brought a sale deed and will get the same on next date of hearing. She also signed her statement in the name of Charu Saxena.
The counsel for one of the accused raised doubt regarding her identity and requested the court to ask her to affix her thumb impression on her testimony recorded minutes earlier.
Sensing trouble, Shabnam informed the court that she was not Charu Saxena and revealed her identity.
Taking a strict view of the matter, the court said, "She has impersonated and cheated the court by posing as Charu Saxena and thus committed an offence punishable under Section 193 (false evidence) and 419 (cheating by personation) IPC."
"You (SHO Sabzi Mandi) are called upon to initiate proper legal action against her," the court said and sent her to the police station at the court complex.
The woman had deposed as a prosecution witness in a case lodged by the CBI in 2006 after an inquiry unearthed nexus among MCD officials, builders, owners and politicians who had raised illegal and unauthorised construction in various parts of Delhi.
The CBI had initiated the inquiry after the Delhi High Court in an order observed that rampant illegal construction cannot take place without negligence and involvement of MCD officials.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured