Woman impersonates as CBI witness, lands in trouble
New Delhi: A 40-year-old woman landed herself in trouble after impersonating as a prosecution witness in a CBI case and deposing before a special court here.
Shabnam had impersonated as Charu Saxena, a CBI witness, in a corruption case involving MCD officials and builders and got her statement recorded before special CBI judge Pradeep Chaddah.
The drama unfolded itself on a day when the matter was fixed for prosecution evidence and few witnesses were present in the court.
The CBI prosecutor commenced examination of prosecution witnesses. The prosecutor examined Shabnam, impersonating as Charu Saxena, in part and her remaining examination was deferred for want of original sale deed.
She told the court that she had not brought a sale deed and will get the same on next date of hearing. She also signed her statement in the name of Charu Saxena.
The counsel for one of the accused raised doubt regarding her identity and requested the court to ask her to affix her thumb impression on her testimony recorded minutes earlier.
Sensing trouble, Shabnam informed the court that she was not Charu Saxena and revealed her identity.
Taking a strict view of the matter, the court said, "She has impersonated and cheated the court by posing as Charu Saxena and thus committed an offence punishable under Section 193 (false evidence) and 419 (cheating by personation) IPC."
"You (SHO Sabzi Mandi) are called upon to initiate proper legal action against her," the court said and sent her to the police station at the court complex.
The woman had deposed as a prosecution witness in a case lodged by the CBI in 2006 after an inquiry unearthed nexus among MCD officials, builders, owners and politicians who had raised illegal and unauthorised construction in various parts of Delhi.
The CBI had initiated the inquiry after the Delhi High Court in an order observed that rampant illegal construction cannot take place without negligence and involvement of MCD officials.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed