Woman sales tax officer, CA jailed for bribery
New Delhi: A former woman sales tax officer
and a chartered accountant, who gave her Rs 1,500 in bribe to settle a case, were sentenced to upto three years in jail by a Delhi court which said professionals like doctors and CAs are
held in high esteem and should not indulge in corruption.
Special Judge B R Kedia sentenced 56-year-old Ved Kukreja,
an assistant sales tax officer in the sales tax office, to
three years in jail for accepting bribe of Rs 1500 from
co-convict Chartered Accountant Ashish Garg for settlement of
case files due to closing of financial year in 2006.
Garg was also handed down 27 months in jail for bribing
Kukreja on behalf of a private firm for getting the assessment
order. They were also slapped a fine of Rs 20,000 each.
"I am of the considered view that professionals like
engineers, doctors and CAs are held in the eyes of general
public at high esteem and they are supposed to render their
professional duties by exercising their specialised skills and
"They are not supposed to indulge in any mode of
corruption thereby offering bribe in behalf of their clients
to anyone," the court said.
Kukreja and Garg were caught redhanded by Anti-Corruption
branch on March 16, 2006 when its raiding party reached the
Sales Tax office on a secret information that bribe is being
taken by officers of sales tax department for settlement of
case files due to closing of financial year.
Their sentences have been suspended till March 26 on a
personal bond of Rs 25,000 and a surety of like amount.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- Quota row: Hardik Patel threatens Gujarat’s govt again
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Shocking revelation! Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was pregnant