Woman sales tax officer, CA jailed for bribery
New Delhi: A former woman sales tax officer
and a chartered accountant, who gave her Rs 1,500 in bribe to settle a case, were sentenced to upto three years in jail by a Delhi court which said professionals like doctors and CAs are
held in high esteem and should not indulge in corruption.
Special Judge B R Kedia sentenced 56-year-old Ved Kukreja,
an assistant sales tax officer in the sales tax office, to
three years in jail for accepting bribe of Rs 1500 from
co-convict Chartered Accountant Ashish Garg for settlement of
case files due to closing of financial year in 2006.
Garg was also handed down 27 months in jail for bribing
Kukreja on behalf of a private firm for getting the assessment
order. They were also slapped a fine of Rs 20,000 each.
"I am of the considered view that professionals like
engineers, doctors and CAs are held in the eyes of general
public at high esteem and they are supposed to render their
professional duties by exercising their specialised skills and
"They are not supposed to indulge in any mode of
corruption thereby offering bribe in behalf of their clients
to anyone," the court said.
Kukreja and Garg were caught redhanded by Anti-Corruption
branch on March 16, 2006 when its raiding party reached the
Sales Tax office on a secret information that bribe is being
taken by officers of sales tax department for settlement of
case files due to closing of financial year.
Their sentences have been suspended till March 26 on a
personal bond of Rs 25,000 and a surety of like amount.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation – Part II
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof