Woman, son get life imprisonment for killing husband
New Delhi: A Delhi court has sentenced a woman along with her son to life imprisonment for killing her 60-year-old husband, dismissing their contention that he had committed suicide.
Additional Sessions Judge Kaveri Baweja held Beena Stella Rafi and her son Mohammad Bilal guilty of murdering Mohammad Rafi by strangulating him last February and slapped a fine of Rs 7,000 on each of them.
The court convicted the mother-son duo dismissing their contention that Rafi had committed suicide and was found hanging from a window outside their house in Daryaganj.
"In light of the above discussion, what emerges from the evidence on record is that the medical evidence clearly points to the fact that death of Mohammad Rafi was homicidal and not suicidal.”
"The claim of accused (Beena and Bilal) that the deceased was found hanging from a `jangla` (window) and he committed suicide is thus totally contrary to the medical evidence on record," the court said.
According to police, they received information last February that Rafi was admitted in an unconscious state by Bilal in a hospital here and doctors declared him brought dead.
During the probe, Bilal told police that on the day of the incident, his father was under the influence of liquor and quarrelled with his mother. He added that he threw away a liquor bottle after he reached home.
Bilal told the investigators that thereafter he left the house only to find him in an unconscious state when he returned. During the trial, Bilal also said that Rafi had come home in an inebriated state and after Beena had scolded him, he became irritated and hit himself on his head with a pressure cooker`s lid and then left the house.
Police, however, had told the court that Beena and Bilal were fed up with Rafi`s drinking habit and they had both murdered him after strangulating him with a cable wire.
The prosecutor also argued that during the investigation, the cable wire and the lid of pressure cooker were recovered from the house of the accused.
The court, after considering the evidence and the medical records, observed that it was a case based on "circumstantial evidence" and both the accused "have failed to discharge their onus by explaining the manner in which Mohammad Rafi expired".
"The evidence on record in the present case unerringly establishes that this was a case of homicidal death by ligature strangulation which is totally inconsistent with the claim of the accused that the death of the deceased was suicidal. The weapon of offence i.e. cable wire was recovered from inside the house of the accused," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon