Woman, son get life term for murdering husband
New Delhi: A 40-year-old woman, along with her son, has been sentenced to life imprisonment by a Delhi court for murdering her husband to keep the possession of their house with them as the victim was selling it.
The court awarded the jail term to Shabana and her 22-year-old son Imran Khan, for the offence of murder, saying, "The killing of one`s own husband or father cannot be justified on any ground whatsoever."
Additional Sessions Judge Ashutosh Kumar rejected the plea of the prosecution that the two convicts be given maximum punishment of death penalty.
"I am of the considered opinion that this case does not fall in the category of rarest of rare cases, which warrants death sentence," the judge said.
The court also imposed a fine of Rs 5,000 each on Shabana and Imran, both residents of Uttam Nagar here.
The court noted that both the convicts, on the basis of their common intention, murdered Illiyas in a "brutal and inhuman manner" by giving him repeated beatings with deadly weapons.
As per the police, the incident took place on April 26, 2011 when Illiyas had brought a woman, who was interested in buying the property, to the ground floor of his Uttam Nagar house and his first wife Shabana along with her daughter also came there.
Shabana, who was living on the first floor of the house with her three children, asked her husband not to sell the property but he did not listen to her.
His two sons, Imran and a minor, came downstairs armed with iron rods and baseball bat and mercilessly beat the victim leading to his death.
After the incident, Shabana was arrested from her house and Imran had fled the spot and was nabbed later on. The juvenile was being tried separately before the Juvenile Justice Board.
Illiyas was living in a rented accommodation with his second wife and mother.
The court said though Shabana and her children felt insecure and aggrieved with the victim`s decision to sell the house, still they should not have taken the law into their own hands.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’