Woman strangulates her 3-month-old daughter in Delhi
New Delhi: In a bizarre incident, a woman who had given birth to twin daughters around three months ago, allegedly strangulated one of them and threw her in the gutter as she thought her financial condition was not good enough to raise both of them.
Gudiya Khatoon (23) has been arrested by the staff of Central Delhi police. She is a native of Bihar`s Madhubani district, who lives here in north-east Delhi along with her husband Sameer, police said on Friday.
On Tuesday, at about 7:30 AM, a PCR call was received that a three-month-old female child was kidnapped from LNJP Hospital. When police reached the spot, Khatoon told them that she and her daughter Salam were at the hospital as her other child was admitted there for fever.
"She claimed that on Tuesday morning at about 6:00 am, she wanted to go to the toilet but her daughter Salam was continuously crying. She then requested a woman who was standing there to take care of the child so that she could go to toilet. However, when she came back, the woman was found missing along with the child," said Deputy Commissioner of Police (Central) Alok Kumar.
Police instantly registered a case and took up investigation. A computer portrait of the suspected woman was prepared with the help of Khatoon. Pamphlets were distributed and announcements were made in the nearby locality in this regard. The CCTV footage was also analyzed by the police team but the movement of suspect woman at entry and exit gate could not be found.
Meanwhile, in the afternoon, during the checking of sewer, the staff of LNJP Hospital found the dead body of a child. The police team along with Khatoon reached the spot where she identified the child as her daughter Salam.
"We could not understand that why would an unknown woman kill a three-month-old child. After analyzing every aspect of the case, the suspicion turned towards Khatoon. The father and mother of the deceased were interrogated at length during which Khatoon finally broke down and confessed her involvement in the crime," said Kumar.
She allegedly told police that about three months back, she gave birth to twin girls. As the financial condition of the family was not good, she tried to give one child to her relative but on her husband`s intervention, the child was brought back to her home.
"However, she always wanted to get rid of one of her daughters. On Tuesday, in the morning, when everyone was asleep, she smothered the child and dumped her in the sewer," Kumar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'