Women cops, Pune college girls to be trained in martial arts
Pune: In a move to better equip women cops to handle rising crimes against women and eve teasers, Pune Police have chalked out a martial arts training programme starting January in which college girls too can participate.
Coming in the backdrop of the gang-rape incident in Delhi and attack on women cops by anti-social elements in Mumbai during a protest in August, the measure aims at boosting self-defence awareness in the city which, too, has seen a rising graph of crime against woman.
Elaborating on the proposed programme, Police Commissioner Gulabrao Pol said "The women police recruits will be imparted training in martial arts, including karate, starting next month to better equip them in self-defence and also curb increasing incidents of eve teasing."
He said college girls and other women, too, can avail of the training facility. "They can approach the police headquarter to get themselves enrolled for the course."
Pol said through women`s vigilance committees set up involving NGOs, school and college girls have been urged to report cases of molestation and eve teasing without any hesitation, and prompt action will be taken in such matters.
Many women`s groups have advised members of the fairer sex to carry pepper sprays and chilly powder as first line of self-defence. These handy and easy to carry devices can be used to repel an assaulter from a distance of about six feet and are being made available at a number of stores in Pune.
The city, over the last few years, has witnessed an alarming increase in crime against women with many women IT professionals required to use private transport at odd hours being targeted by goons.
According to official figures, 61 cases of rape, 43 of abduction and 65 of molestation were registered this year with NGOs claiming a large number of crime cases against women still going unreported.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt