Women not safe in Delhi: Sheila Dikshit
New Delhi: Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit on Wednesday expressed shock and anguish over the Lajpat Nagar attempted rape case, while admitting that the national capital is still unsafe for women.
Speaking to reporters, Chief Minister said, “I am shocked to learn about the Lajpat Nagar attempted case. It is a big setback for us. This shows that women are still unsafe here.”
The Chief Minister, however, promised to do everything possible to address safety concerns of women and hinted at specific steps to ensure effective regulation of the public transport in the city.
Seeking better policing, Dikshit also sought deployment of women police personnel at all police stations to encourage women to lodge their complaints without any apprehensions.
"My government will do everything possible to provide a conducive atmosphere for the women in the city," Dikshit said while chairing a meeting called to discuss issues relating to safety of women.
The meeting was attended by Women and Child Welfare Minister Kiran Walia, Planning Commission member Sayeeda Hamid, Chairperson of Delhi Commission for Women Barkha Singh, representatives of leading NGOs and Women Rights Groups and top officials of government departments.
Dikshit had been critical of functioning of Delhi Police and demanded the resignation of Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar in the wake of the gang-rape incident.
Delhi government had last week sent a letter to Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde accusing the police of "completely deviating" from its core duties and "trivialising" the issue of safety of women. The Delhi Police functions under Home Ministry and reports to Lt Governor Tejendra Khanna.
Reacting sharply to Dikshit`s comments today, CPI(M) leader Brinda Karat criticised her, wondering what the Chief Minister was doing to instill confidence in women.
"She (Dikshit) is admitting that women are not secure in Delhi. Then what is her responsibility as Chief Minister? Where is the principle of accountability"? said Karat.
"Women security issue has become a political football between the state and central government. The Chief Minister blames the police. The central government defends the police. This is what is happening in Delhi. I think it is a shame," Karat said.
Delhi Chief Minister made these remarks a day after a Class 9 student fought off a rape bid in her own house by an electricity contractor who thrust an iron rod into her throat to quell her cries for help.
The matter was reported on Tuesday and the police later arrested the accused.
The victim, 19, who was attacked around 8.30 pm Monday in south Delhi`s Lajpat Nagar, underwent a surgery in throat next morning and is said to be in a critical condition.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22