World leaders showing interest in Aakash: Sibal
New Delhi: Aakash, billed as the world`s
cheapest tablet PC, has evinced a lot of interest among
several world leaders and international organisations like
UNESCO and World Bank, HRD Minister Kapil Sibal on Wednesday said.
"Several prime ministers and ministers have evinced
interest in Aakash who want it for their country in
thousands," he told reporters here without elaborating.
He, however, said that during his recent visit to UNESCO,
the president of the general council displayed the tablet to
the audience while the World Bank showed it among the board of
He said the International Finance Corporation, which
coordinates its activities with other institutions of the
World Bank group, can also collaborate with India for
improving the device.
The tablet, costing Rs 2,276, was launched on October 5
and it will be available at around half this price to students
as part of government`s programme to expand education through
An initial order of one lakh devices has been placed with
device maker Datawind.
Sibal said phase II of the device will be much more
advanced and will be available at the same price of USD 35.
"It will have much higher processor, touch screen and
longer battery life," he said.
Talking about his trip to the US where he chaired the
first Indo-US higher education summit, Sibal said an American
delegation will be visiting India next month to carry ahead
the partnership in this field.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- WATCH: PRODIGY! This 11-year-old from Odisha slum will now train at Bayern Munich
- Turkey will give full support to operation to retake Syria's Jarablus from Islamic State: Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu
- WATCH: What is PV Sindhu's equation with Saina Nehwal? Her reply will surprise you
- Iraq executions carried out without proper trial, fuelled by vengeance: UN
- India to buy 500 helicopters, 12 submarines, over 200 fighter jets in next 10 years: Report