Wrestling: BJP asks govt to intervene for `national pride`
New Delhi: BJP on Saturday termed the dropping of Wrestling as a sporting events in the 2020 Olympics as an "international conspiracy" and urged the Indian government to intervene in the interest of "national pride".
Wrestlers under the aegis of Wrestling Federation of India today met BJP President Rajnath Singh to seek political support for keeping wrestling as a sport in Olympics.
The International Olympics Committee (IOC) has decided to drop wrestling as a sporting event from the 2020 Olympics and a decision to this effect was announced recently.
Rajnath Singh later said that there should be no politics in this as wrestling was considered pride of the nation and the country had won many medals in the Olympics in the sporting event.
"It is an international conspiracy. The Indian government should intervene to retain wrestling as a sport in Olympics so that India can participate in the sporting event," Rajnath Singh said.
"This should not be seen with any political motive. It is a question of India`s prestige. India has won a number of medals in wrestling in the olympics.
"It is an issue of national pride. Leaders of all political parties should play their role in inclusion of wrestling in Olympics," Singh said.
A number of wrestlers including general secretary of the Wrestling Federation of India Raj Singh and vice president Ashok Aggarwal, besides Satpal Pahalwan and others met Rajnath Singh at his residence and seek his support in retaining it as a sporting event in 2020 Olympics.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India